Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Feb. 28, 2011 letter

Dear Family,
Everything is going great.  Elder Vickery and I get along fine.  Hes a good trainer, but I hope my next companion is a native spanish speaker so that I can really improve in the language.  Transfers are every 6 weeks.  This is the last week of the transfer, but I dont think Ill be going anywhere.  Missionaries usually stay  in the same area for a few months.  The mission president before the current one had some missionaries stay in the same area for about 8 months.  Elder Vickery has already been here for about 3 months so I might be getting a new companion next week.  Testimony is good.  Ive grown to enjoy this area more.  I dont think that we can print [incoming e-mails].  To email, we go to a little shop with a row of computers.  There is a printer at the main desk at some places.  Ill ask.  Each missionary is given the equivilant of 150 dollars a month for food travel, and personal items.  We withdraw all of it from an ATM at the beginning of the month.  I spend about 10 to 20 dollars a week on food and whatever else we need, and about 10 on travel to district meetings.  I had to squeeze a little bit the last 2 weeks because we had extra travel and needed to buy lights and reflecters for the bikes and cleaning/laundry supplies.  I had just enough money last week to travel back to Champoton.  Im going to start budgeting my money. 
I keep forgeting to write in my journal but I will try to make it a habit to do it right after planning.  The rat wasnt very big.  It was about the size of a large mouse.  District meetings are every pday.  It is very inconvenient because our entire day is full already.  We study until 11, handwash all of our clothes for about 2-2.5 hours [Eddy is gaining a new appreciation for washers and dryers!], buy our food, eat a quick lunch, and then take a 1.5 hour bus ride to the area of the district leader.  When we get there we email, then go to the church for the meeting, spend the night at their house, and leave the next morning.  I really hope that the next district leader is my companion or at least someone in the town thats about a half hour closer.  Im not exactly sure why we cant visit the ruins.  I think its something about looking like a tourist or having girls there.  The mission president and his wife are great.  He is a very spiritual person.  There arent very many people that Ive seen that have computers.  Some do though.  We set up about 123 chairs for church last week.  Id say we had about 90 people at least.  Sometimes we are almost full.  I don’t think I’ll need any packages for now, but maybe arround the time of my birthday.  I’ll send photos next week of the apartment and Elder Vickery.
On Saturday we are going to have the baptism of the 16 year old.  The 18 year old isnt going to church so I dont know what well do about him.  My asking for references has finally paid off.  This lady didnt want to listen but said that the people across the street would.  We taught the first lesson, and they accepted a return date which is perfect, because we will teach them at 3 on saturday, have them go to our english class at 4, and then they will go to the baptism of the 16 year old at 5.  One of the girls asked a question to the mom about if we are Jewish or something about that and the mom told her "no, they represent the true church"  Hopefully we can get them to progress.  I got to give 2 blessings this week to some less active members that werent feeling well.  Elder Vickery said we have to go now.  Pray for me and  the investigators.
Love,
Elder Gubler

No comments:

Post a Comment